Thursday, April 12, 2012
Collecting the lettuce
The lettuce, kale, cabbage, the green, cash.
I've been working with a delinquent client all week. I was chasing him for his second payment when the bank called that his deposit bounced.
The Seven Stages of the Cancellation Threat:
1) Evasion - don't answer the phone, don't respond to voice mails and emails.
2) Make something up - "my computer was down."
3) Counteraccusation - "you didn't send me the contract so I didn't know how much was due." (yes I did.)
4) Negotiation - "Can I bring you half of it today?"
5) Stall - "I have the money but I can't make it there by 5:00 - you have to give me more time."
6) Acquiescence - show up with the cashier's check
7) Put it all behind you - after receiving the receipt, sit and chat as if this were a casual visit and we are all the best of friends. Take an extra 15 or 20 minutes to make sure we have a nice conversation and then leave the office as if none of the earlier unpleasantness ever happened.