Monday, April 6, 2015

Down the hall from the men's room


My office is down the hall from the area in our building where the restrooms and kitchenette reside. I've written about this before, how I get to experience everyone's food smells. For the most part, it's nice, because everyone says hello or stops to chat on their way to grab a coffee or a snack.

One of the other things I get to experience is an unfortunate familiarity with everyone's bathroom habits.

The men's room is first in line down the hall, and it has a very loud exhaust fan. It's impossible to ignore it when someone strides past my door, opens and closes the bathroom door, lets the seat fall with a clunk, and turns on the exhaust fan. It's impossible not to be aware of what's taking place in there.

When both the restrooms' fans are going at the same time, it sounds from my office like the building is a propeller-driven plane, ready to take off.  Fortunately the fans are not only loud, but effective at their intended purpose.

I am thankful I have an office with a door to close.

3 comments:

Mingus said...

"Excuse me sir, there's been a little problem in the cockpit…"

"The cockpit…what is it?"

"It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now."

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Some modern Japanese toilets have noisemakers to cover "embarrassing" sounds. I believe the latest ones can even play music.

David Duff said...

Heh, BBBB, on a good day I can play the 'Trumpet Voluntary', so who needs 'noisemakers'?!